What does it mean if my online search did not return any results?
There could be many reasons why a doctor does not appear following a search. It could mean that:
- The doctor may not have an active certification from an ABMS Member Board.
- The doctor requested that his or her information be kept private.
- The search terms are not sufficient to identify the specific doctor, and CertificationMatters.org limits the number of results that can be displayed.
Here are possible reasons you see no results for your search, and their solutions.
Possible reason: The search did not use enough of the four fields to return 25 or fewer results. Searches that return more than 25 results will not be displayed.
Solution: In addition to the required Doctor’s Last Name field, complete as many of the other fields as possible. Try these steps in the search tool:
- Check the spelling of the doctor’s last name. Ensure you are using the complete last name; names with a hyphen should include that punctuation and full name. Partial searches in the last name are not allowed.
- Enter at least the first letter of the doctor’s first name. Partial searches in the first name are allowed.
- Add or remove the State location, or choose a neighboring state if you are near a state border. Doctors are not required to report their most recent location; because Board Certification is a national process above and beyond state licensure, the location first reported by a doctor may no longer be where they currently practice.
- Add, remove or try a different area of specialization.
Possible reason: The doctor may not be currently Board Certified.
Solution: Learn about Board Certification and what it takes to become Board Certified.
Possible reason: The doctor earned his Board Certification very recently.
Solution: In the case of newly certified doctors, the information may not be available in our database for 90 days following notification from an ABMS Member Board to the doctor. In the meantime, you could call the ABMS Member Board with which you think he or she is Board Certified and ask if they can confirm certification.